Cooking Under Pressure

I'm often asked how I find time to cook. My write back has two parts. First, salutary yummy Food is vital for my well-being, so Cooking ordinarily comes first on my to-do list. Also, I find nothing more relaxing, creative or satisfying than trying a new dish or savoring an old favorite. Second, I use a pressure cooker. The usual response I get is, "The ones that explode?" Not exactly.


Pressure cookers have come a long way since the days of noisy valves and an occasional explosion. Thanks to new technology, today's pressure cookers automatically depressurize when overheated. A pressure cooker is vital for quick establishMent of whole grains and beans. For example, brown rice takes one hour to cook conventionally. It also requires the use of a flame tamer or very low heat to avoid scorching. With a pressure cooker, it takes 35 minutes and won't scorch if an Ohsawa pot is used. Black beans cook in two hours conventionally, but take only 25 minutes in a pressure cooker. Long bean soaking times can also be avoided with a pressure cooker.

Pressure Cooker

Pressure Cooker

 

There are other advanTAGes to pressure Cooking. Foods support their nutrient value because pressure cooking uses less water and the nearly Airtight seal prevents nutrients from escaping. Pressure cooking tenderizes meat speedily so less expensive cuts can be used. Lower cooking times use less energy.


Comments